Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Rage - Jackie Morse Kessler - 4 stars

This is book #2 in the Riders of the Apocalypse. I read Hunger, the first book, the end of last year and then found this one shortly after and knew I had to read it.

In this series the author takes everyday disorders, such as eating disorders, or self harm, and turns them into something a bit more positive, (if you can think of the apocalypse as a positive), without glamorizing it. She shapes and molds each of her characters into decisive and confident people, but it is not and 'over night' achievement. Readers go through plenty of dark tunnels before finding that light at the end. She draws readers in with her down to earth honesty, no sugar coating the issues that so many teens face every day.

The characters are damaged, flawed and definitely scarred, their souls bared for all to see. Readers live through and face every torment, and every pain with them. I felt as though I was there in the story with them, and I found myself trying to push them along when they want to give up. A very engaging read.

I look forward to continuing the series with the final 2 books in this series, Loss and Breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment