Saturday, January 17, 2015

Dorothy Must Die - Danielle Paige - 4 stars

My sister is actually the one who convinced me to read this book, even if it was 6 months later. I did not really know what to expect from this book but she really enjoyed the book, so I had high hopes for it as well. I am really glad that I finally decided to read it. It was very engaging, fluid and easy to follow.

In this book, Dorothy had returned to Oz and wreaked havoc upon the Emerald City and its inhabitants. Amy, pretty much a nobody girl from Kansas, gets caught up in a tornado and ends up in, you guessed it, Oz. Amy is told by the wicked witches that she is meant to be The Emerald City's savior. Amy has to wonder how she is going to live up to that.

This was really a fun read for me. A complete turn around for Oz and seeing everything so different than the beloved book/movie as we all knew it, was great. There was plenty of terror, action and excitement and it definitely has more of an adult feel with it's more descriptive parts. I was not too sure about the Wicked suddenly being the good and the good being the wicked and to tell you the truth, I trust no one except Amy. The Author does well keeping her readers confused about who they could really trust.

The characters in the book are well developed and seeing the old favorites in a different light made the book intriguing and exciting. As far as the new character in the book I have to say there are really only a few I like Amy, Ollie, Maude and I am thinking I will like Ozma more in the next book. The Ordsr, which are the wicked, well I don't really care for any of them all that much. I felt like they kept too much from Amy and they were not very understanding of her, especially the love interest, Nox. I wanted to punch him most of the time.

Looking forward to the next installment The Wicked Will Rise. I am anxious to see where this story will go. I recommend this book to anyone who likes books that have another side to the story, or a complete role reversal. This book definitely has that and keeps the pages turning.

No comments:

Post a Comment