Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Romeo & Juliet - William Shakespeare - 3 stars

Since we were at the end of the month I wanted a quick easy read to close the month with. I had never read Romeo and Juliet. This however is not the book to choose for that. I found that out the hard way even though I did still finish it in a day.

Everyone knows the Romeo and Juliet story, I had no idea it was so hard to read though. I did get lucky with this edition though because in the beginning there is a 70 page retelling of this famous play by Jacqueline Ritten. And she told the story beautifully and it was very easy to follow.

The trouble started when I got to the actual play itself. Our language has come so very far. It was hard to read and understand what was being said and it made me very happy that I had this edition with the retelling in it.

I had no idea that Juliet's parents were so vile and uncaring of Juliet when she needed them to understand the most. That was a very sad part of the story and it made me dislike them very much. I could never imagine treating my children that way, but then again this is a whole new era and things are very different. I also had issues with how demanding Juliet was with Nurse. You could tell she was somewhat spoiled. I understand what was going on with her though and it sheds some light as to why she was so demanding.

I have no idea who to even recommend this book to. Probably to those readers who love classics and those who love plays. It has to be a craft to be able to read and understand Shakespeare. It is a tough read but it was in play form so it did nto take too long to get through it.

No comments:

Post a Comment