Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Let Me In - John Ajvide Lindqvist - 2 stars

I read this book because it was for the 'pick it for me' challenge in my group. I was really excited to be challenged with this book because I heard some good things about it. And what can I say, it was simply that a huge challenge to read. There was just too much going on. I almost ended up putting this on my DNF shelf, but I did push on and finished the book.

This story is about a vampire named Eli and her friend and confidante, Oskar. Oskar was being bullied in school when he first met Eli and she seemed to make like a little more bearable for Oskar. Though there were doubts in Oskar's mind that Eli was really a vampire he started to believe it when Eli began showing him glimpses of what life was like has been like for her. This is a story about friendship and loyalty as we follow the lives Eli, Oskar and a whole cast of characters.

I found this story to just be dark and depressing most of the way through the book which kind of made it a little boring and slow. I also found different plotlines were not really necessary to make the story work. It seemed like a lot of it was thrown in just to make the story longer. It could have easily been about 150 pages less than what it was. There were also some elements to the story that I did not like such pedophilia. I did like the plot and idea of the story I just think it was not executed all that well. I do think there were some pretty good plot twists and because of this it got the 2 star rating rather than 1.

The characters? Well, I only liked Eli really. The author shares some of her backstory that threw me for a bit of a loop. Our Main character Oskar was not really likeable or relatable at all to me. I thought he was rude, uncaring, and even kind of obnoxious all the way till about a quarter of the book was left, and had I been Eli I would have done away with him from the very start. He always had to have something more in order for him to believe anything that Eli shared with him even if it caused Eli harm, and that was annoying to me. As for the rest of the characters it felt like the author did not want his readers to like any of them, because I sure did not.

I am really not going to recommend this book to anyone. You will just have to read it at your own risk and decide what you think about it. For me, it was just ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment