Sunday, January 11, 2015

The Lightning Thief - Rick Riordan - 4 star

I finally got around to reading this book because my son had bugged me for over a year, so that we could watch the movie together. All I can say is I am sad that it took me this long to get to it. It was such an engaging book.

This story is about Percy Jackson who struggles with school and kids in school. He gets kicked out of the boarding schools continually. He is with his mom and stepdad and wonders what happened to his real dad. Also he has been confronted by mythological monsters and beings and is accused of stealing the lightning bolt that belongs to Zeus. Now he and his friends must find the bolt and return it to Zeus, but it is no easy task.

I really liked the world building in this book and the plot of the story as well. I thought the imagery was great and it made for a very engaging read. It is a very fast and fluid read, hard to put down. I found the Author made this book more plot driven than anything, but I think it worked out well.

As far as the characters go, I find them to just be simple, and it worked for the story. I feel like they will all grow throughout the series and we will learn more about them as we go. At least that is my hope. I liked Clover the best. He has such a great sense of humor throughout the story. Percy was just annoying to me and so clueless through over half of the story. I was finally glad to see he started to get a bit more serious after that.

I would recommend this book to anyone who loves middle grade reads. Also if you like a bit of light fantasy you may appreciate this book as well. I do look forward to moving on with the series and then to the series after this one, The Heroes of Olympus.

No comments:

Post a Comment