Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Scarlet - Marissa Meyer - 5 stars

I have heard a lot of mixed reviews for this book, both positive and negative. I have to say that I loved this book, better than Cinder? Maybe just a little bit, but it was definitely not any worse. I found this one to be very engaging and very fluid. I really liked the way Cinder was introduced into this one as well.

In this installment we get most of the story surrounding Scarlet and her grandmother, while Cinder is dealing with her own very personal problems. Cinder running and then hiding from who she is and Scarlet trying to figure out where her grandmother is and what it will take to find her. Then in the whole mix of things creating her never ending chaos is Queen Levana, enemy to both Cinder and Scarlet.

I just love the Meyer's writing style and I also love this world building and how all these worlds are linked together simply by the characters. I did not expect the characters to carry over into each installment but I love that they do. I love that the plot lines run parallel to one another and kind of meet in the middle. It makes for a very exciting story. The imagery is also very pleasing in this series. I really don't have too many complaints.

The characters, wow, they are so easy to fall in love with. Even the antagonists are wrote in a way that makes them the perfect villains, everything you love to hate about a bad guy. I also like having to guess which characters to trust and which not to trust. I am not gonna mention in this review which characters I love and hate because that would take away from the surprise that comes along with the characters. Just know that each and everyone of them play a vital role in the story and they are all developed so very well.

I recommend this series to anyone who loves a good fairytale retelling, and also anyone who likes an awesome YA fantasy. This is definitely a series that needs to be read and experienced. I can't believe it took me this long to get to it. Now I look forward to the next one on the series, Cress, and we can't forget Winter coming in November I believe. Also to throw another book into the mix there is Fairest, a prequel, all about Queen Levana. Absolutely fantastic series!

No comments:

Post a Comment