Monday, March 30, 2015

Tilt - Ellen Hopkins - 4 star

Tilt by Ellen Hopkins is a companion novel to her adult novel, Triangles that I read back in 2014. I did enjoy this book quite a lot and again it is a very thought provoking, emotional and engaging read.

In this novel we read about Harley, Shane, and Mikayla, who are the children of the characters in Triangles. This is their stories and how they perceived their lives, and the ups and downs of every day living as they deal with teen pregnancy, adoption, HIV, chronic illness, and loss. Also we as the readers come face to face with decisions concerning these issues.

Again, I felt so much while I read this book and it makes me rethink different things that I thought I already knew everything about. This book really opens the readers eyes to many issues that today's teens and their families may have to deal with throughout their lives. Sadly there are consequences to poor decisions and there is not always happy endings. One thing that I did not like as much with this book was that it seemed like every character in the book had their own personal spot in the book, and not just Harley, Shane and Mikayla. Because of this it made the book a little less personal I think.

The characters, again, very realistic as we know so much of what is in this books exists in the world today. I felt so much for these kids but I think I liked Shane the most. His thoughts were the most realistic of the 3 we read about. He deals with many more different issues than Harley and Mikayla do and his issues seemed to stem more from his family than his own doings and I think affects him so much more mentally. Either way all of the characters are well developed and believable.

I recommend Ellen Hopkins books to everyone! There are triggers in her books and may not be suitable for some readers I just feel like she should be experienced. If anything her books help us to understand many different issues better, and I think that is important.

No comments:

Post a Comment