Tuesday, March 17, 2015

The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes - 4.5 stars

I found this book at our local Good Will and decided to buy it for $2. I picked this up to read as a buddy read not really knowing what to expect from this one. It was one of those cases of what would you do? How can you judge without being in a particular position. I have to say it was definitely a very profound read. It made me really think. I am so glad I picked it up.

In this book we have CeeCee Wilkes who had made a bad choice that would greatly impact so many different lives, including her own. This is the story of that choice she made, and the sacrifices involved. This is wrote from 2 different perspectives, hers and her daughters.

Wow this was such a profound read for me. So much realism, so many feels involved. So make sure to have your box of Kleenex handy. What a great plot line it was, so intriguing and yet so heartbreaking at the same. I did have one issue with the fact that a 16 year old was dating a 22 year old with sex involved. I am too aware that things like this really do occur and the author made that clear with this writing. The story was super engaging and had I not been busy with life I would have read it all in one sitting. I really enjoyed the author's writing style.

The characters were very realistic and so well written. I could relate to CeeCee and I could never even imagine the struggles she was dealing with. She went through so much as a pre-teen and then thrown into a mess at 16 that she had no business being a part of. I think the author showed her strengths very well. I really did not like a couple of the characters in this book, there were almost villain like even though it was more of a contemporary.

I would recommend this anyone who likes books with real life situations. It will definitely draw you in and engage you through the whole book. I am giving this book a 4.5 star rating and I look forward to finding more from this author.

No comments:

Post a Comment