Monday, May 11, 2015

The Chocolate War - Robert Cormier - 3 stars

I read this book because it was chosen for me through blind bookies, which is a book swap I participate in with my niece that we do each quarter. So I figured it was time to get to this one. I was unsure what to think about when I read the synopsis. After I finished it I found out that there is a sequel and now I feel pressed to read that one.

In this book we have Jerry who is newly entered into a private school and he posed the question to himself of 'Do I dare disturb the universe?' He asked the question and then acted on it. Meaning, he wants to be able to do his own thing, and not what everyone else wants him to do. When Brother Leon, a teacher at the Trinity school tells his students that they will be selling chocolate, voluntarily of course, Jerry is instructed by the Vigils, a disruptive group in the school, to say no when asked if he was going to sell chocolates. After a few days The Vigils say he is allowed to finally say yes. Instead Jerry wants to disturb the universe once again and goes against The Vigils wishes. Jerry quickly learns that no one really wants you to do your own thing, and he learns it the hard way.

Ok wow this book started out like eh this is boring, and I mean really boring and then BAM it picked up and I was interested. It became really fast paced and quite intriguing. It turned into so many things, bullying, strength, learning, and above all else just wanting to be able to do your own thing and not have to be a part of a popular clique. I feel like the first half was so dry and it could have been so much better. Had it had all of these great elements from the start it would have been a 5 star rating. I found myself seething at the end of the book because I feel like there was no justice served and it should have been, and then the old phrase comes into play of 'Boys will be boys.' So irritating, but maybe the sequel serves the justice I am seeking.

The characters were pretty good. Jerry of course who is a favorite was a protagonist in the story but I feel like he let the rest of the heathens get the better of him most of the time. The Goober, real name Roland Goubert, is another great character, who is caught in between and has some difficult choices to make, not all of them easy ones, not in this school. Then you have the great villains, The Vigils with their leader, Archie, who I held intense hatred for. I love a good character to hate. All of them added a lot to the story, and I found myself searching for a hero, but they never surfaced and I am hopefully maybe they will in the continuance of this story.

I am not sure who to recommend this 1970's classic to since it took me awhile to really enjoy it. It is worth the read but it take it's time to get there. So I suppose just pick it up if you like classics with a 50's feel to them and try it out. This would have had a higher rating had it been a hit with me from the first page, but a 3 is a pretty generous rating I think. I do look forward to finding the second book and seeking out the justice I crave.

No comments:

Post a Comment