Sunday, May 3, 2015

Starters - Lissa Price - 3 stars

This is a YA Post Apoc Dystopian novel. I don't always enjoy dystopian novels because they always seem to be the same thing. Government controls the people telling them what they can and can not do and then someone attempts to overthrow the government often resulting in an out and out war. This one was different and I quite enjoyed it.

In this book there was a spore war killing everyone between the ages of 20 and 60. Callie and her brother Tyler survived because of being vaccinated. They lost their parents and found themselves living day to day and are completely homeless. Callie has the opportunity to work for Prime Destinations renting her body out to Enders so that they can be young again. Callie discovers an evil plan that she feels she must stop.

I really liked the plot to this story. I thought that it was quite different and unique. The author has built quite the world here but somehow it felt a little incomplete at times. Like it needed just a little more development. I also thought the end of the book felt a little rushed and too easy if that makes any sense. I expected a bit more to it, but overall it was a good story, it was engaging and a very fast read.

I like the characters but I did not really feel a connection to any of them. I guess that could be due to the fact that Callie is only 16 and this is the first book so maybe they become more relatable in the next one. I have a feeling that one part, a character, is going to be a little predictable. I guess I will see when I get to the next one.

I can recommend this book to anyone who likes YA Dystopian. I do look forward to book 2, Enders, and I hope that the world, plot and characters continues to develop more.

No comments:

Post a Comment