Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Thirteen Reasons Why - Jay Asher - 4 stars

I have had this book for quite some time and recently I have heard some very up and down reviews on this. Not knowing how I would like the book I jumped into it with no expectations. I felt like this book had a Hopkins feel to it and I actually quite enjoyed the story as it touches on a very serious subject, that being suicide.

In this book we have Hannah who decided living life was not worth much anymore, but before she ended it for herself, she made some cassette tapes calling out those people who pushed her towards this conclusion, one of which being Clay Jensen. The story focuses on Clay listening to these cassettes and dealing with his own feelings. This is also Hannah's story by way of these cassette tapes and also the aftermath as it touches on these people who in one way or another pushed Hannah over the edge.

The plot to this story I found quite unique, different, thought provoking and emotional. I tend to like to read real life based stories and I had not come across one told like this. It was very fluid, easy to read but also hard at times due to the content. I think the author tells a very real story, as real as it can be compared to the world today for a lot of teenagers. When they feel there is no hope, but also on the other side for those people left behind wondering why they did not do something more to help. Dealing with the guilt, sadness, and depression. I feel like this book is so worth the read, especially the ay the book ends.

The characters were also wrote very well. I had mixed feelings where Hannah was concerned. At one time I would think she had choices to make, she was dependent on others to make those choices for her, which is ultimately what happened, she did not let anyone completely in. And then on the other hand I can see why things seemed hopeless to her. It did seem like everyone went out of their way to do her harm in one way or another. I have to say though that I felt the most sorry for Clay. He wanted to help, but as many people have told me in the past, you can't help someone who does not want to be helped, but that doesn't change that way of thinking. It will always be the struggle of 'I could have done more.'

I recommend this book to anyone who likes real life stories, those kind that make you think, feel and see things in a whole new light, because this is story certainly accomplishes that.

No comments:

Post a Comment