Saturday, June 6, 2015

A Break With Charity - Ann Rinaldi - 2.5 stars

This is book 4 for the read-a-thon challenge I am a part of. I had read another book by Ann Rinaldi so I decided to give this one a try. I don't read many witch stories but this was a great choice for the challenge of reading a book outside of my comfort Zone.

This book covers the Salem Witch trials in the late 1600's that starts with a circle of girls who want to cause trouble for the town of Salem just for sport. One girls discovers the secrets of the circle but struggles to reveal such secrets due to threats made against her family to also be called out as witches.

I thought this book was fairly engaging for a historical fiction. I am not sure how much is true to the actual Salem witch trials, but is was interesting to say the least. I found it to be pretty fast paced, although parts of the story were not very believable to me and that was a somewhat annoying. The ending also was horrible in my opinion, not what I expected to happen, and wished for something very different than what it was. I found it be quite disappointing. I feel there was really no closure at all.

The characters, well I did not like any of them. Our lead Character Susanna was very annoying to me. She had some decisions to make that she chose not to. I found her to be weak minded and weak willed as well. Most of the characters appeared to be weak except for the trouble makers which was the circle of girls who started everything. I mean come on, they are just young girls and they are allowed to walk all over everyone and be feared because they told so many lies? I guess I was looking for a hero and I don't feel like I got that at all with this story.

Overall it was an interesting read, but not sure who to recommend it too because I feel like a lot of people would be disappointed in the story and the cast of characters. I am giving this book a 2.5 star rating. I just think it could have been so much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment