Thursday, June 18, 2015

The Likeness - Tana French - 2.5 stars

This is book 2 to the Dublin Murder Squad series. We are reading this series for our Book-a-thon in our group. I have to say I kind of lost my interest in the series after reading this book. I found it kind of dry and boring. I do not think I even want to continue this series.

In this installment we have Cassie who has been transferred out of the murder squad and she was quite happy with that. She gets called to a scene where the victim looks like her. Frank who is in charge of 'undercover' needs Cassie's help figuring out who this girl is and why she was murdered.

So for the plot, I loved it, it was the reason I picked this book up and bought it. But in my opinion, it was executed poorly. I thought for sure I would like it more than the first book In the Woods. Again, it started out very promising but I thought it ended up being a mess. It was too wordy, I felt like there were many unnecessary parts to this book. It could have easily been 100 pages shorter and maybe then it would have been more enjoyable. I still did not find closure from a mystery in the first book, and the end of this one was no where near what I hoped it would be. It ended too easily but I had it pegged pretty much from the start.

The characters, well I only really cared for Sam. He would definitely be my idea of a great detective IF he showed some authority. I felt like he let Frank and Cassie run the show and pushed him to the sidelines, and it seemed like this was ok with Sam. WHAT?! In my opinion he needs to grow a backbone. Cassie, who I liked in the first book, I really can't stand in this one. I think the Author took her in a wrong direction. She was more for herself and what she wants rather than trying to help solve a murder, she also lacked respect for her superiors, why in this book? I hated that aspect of her character in this one. Frank, well ugh, what can we say, he got big in undercover so he acted holier than thou! His attitude about being the boss and in control was way over the top. Geez and where is Rob? That is who I would have liked to see in this one!

So I am not going to recommend this book to anyone, I am just gonna say read at your risk, see if you like it. If you do great let me know why. I am giving this book a 2.5 star rating for the parts of the book I did like. I feel like that is a generous rating for a long dry read.

No comments:

Post a Comment