Thursday, June 4, 2015

Private - Kate Brian - 3.5 stars

I read this book to fulfill a challenge for a read-a-thon I am participating in. I was not too sure about it since it is a 'boarding school' plotline, but I was pleasantly surprised with the story and loved it.

In this book you have Reed Brennan who finds her scholarship to Easton, a private school, as a means of running away from her normal everyday life, but what she finds here is far more than she bargained for. She struggles figuring out who she can trust and actually count on.

I actually ended up liking this plot line so much more than I thought I would. I have never read a book quite like this as I don't normally think of stories like this interesting, but I found it to be very engaging. It was also very fluid and easy to read. I think it gives a good glimpse into what private schools are all about.

The characters I have to ay that I really don't care for any of them, not even our main character Reed. I find her to be weak and strong both at the same time. I kept thinking she needs to grow a back bone and then I found myself cheering her on. I am not going to get into why I felt that as it would spoil the story. The other characters in the story are confusing because I don't know if they are trustworthy or not. I feel like they are kind of wishy washy if that makes sense. The love interest, Thomas, I feel the same way about and of course there was a bad case of 'instalove' involved, but I can overlook that as I don't see that as a main focus of the story.

I am very interested in continuing this story with the next installment because there was a confusing cliffhanger at the end. I recommend this to anyone who likes stories in a prep/private school setting. I am giving this a 3.5 star rating.

No comments:

Post a Comment