Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Smoke - Ellen Hopkins

I read this book as part of a read-a-thon. I knew I would be able to get through it quickly because of Hopkins style of writing in verse, but it is so much more than that. I knew I would read it fast because of the fluidity of her writing. So engaging, so emotional, and her books always speak volumes to me.

This book is the sequel to Burned. In this installment Pattyn is on the run and is searching for a guilt free life while her sister Jackie searches for acceptance and understanding. Both girls need help understanding what has happened in their lives and how to deal with that, and wondering if they will ever be able to love someone again.

Once again Hopkins brings us an unforgettable plot with unforgettable characters. She never fails to reach out to her readers through realistic, emotional stories that will touch everyone who reads them. This book is no different. I was completely consumed by this story because it touches on so many real life issues, abuse, rape, violence, and how teens and adults alike have to deal with the consequences of all of these issues. Her story telling brings to light the problems in society today and makes those of us who read them to think and to better understand the issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment