Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Tides - Betsy Cornwell - 2 stars

I need a quick easy read after struggling with a couple of books prior. So this one seemed to be what I needed with a completely different concept, that being Selkie Folklore. The plot was not like any book I had ever read before which was what drew me to it. But sadly the book was just ok for me and also a bit predictable as well.

In this book we have Noah and his adopted sister Lo, who go to visit there Grandmother in her island cottage since Noah has a marine biology internship there to keep him busy, meanwhile his sister Lo struggles with bulimia and trying to fit in. Noah finds himself trying to, what he thinks, save a local girl from drowning. This begins a whole new life for both Noah and his sister, something they never expected.

I thought the plot line was very different, and exciting, but I felt like it still lacked some depth which made it kind of boring. I would have loved to know more about the island, I had hoped the imagery would have been better than it was. I could not place myself there in the middle of things because I could not imagine the island. Due to the nature of the story I would have thought there would have been a lot more action the there was, so that was disappointing as well. There were parts of the story that I liked and it was a quick fun read.

The characters also lacked depth. Although I did like them for the most part, I would like to have known a bit more about them especially Noah and Lo. There is very little backstory on either of them. I found Mara to be a bit annoying, but I guess that is due to the type of character she is. She was not trusting and she easily jumps to conclusions. The bad guy I could not even class as a bad guy, therefore I could not hate him properly. LOL

I really don't recommend this book to anyone, if you see this review and decide to want to read then let me know what you think of it. Overall it has a good plot line that was pretty exciting to think about, it just needed to be executed better than it was. I feel like the 2 star rating is pretty generous for this book, but because I liked the plot and there were parts I did enjoy, I think it deserves that much.

No comments:

Post a Comment