Friday, October 23, 2015

Criminal - Karin Slaughter - 4 stars

I have really been enjoying the Will Trent series a lot this year, and have a goal of completing all the books that are out right now. This one is book 6 which means one to go. I was eager to get started on this but when I started reading it I was not all the sure that I was going to like this one like I had the last 5.

In this book we cover Amanda's career when it first gets started in the 1970's. It was a rough run for her and Evelyn both, lots of chauvinistic men who really disapprove of women out in the field. They both still keep poking around this case of prostitutes who end up missing when one is found dead. In present day an investigation is surrounded around a local college student's disappearance, as Will begins a battle with his past.

This book did a huge turnaround for me. I found the beginning kind of slow not realizing I was going to learn so much more about Amanda and Will both, and what the 'obvious' connection is that Amanda feels toward Will. It started to really pick up for me around page 150 and then it just continued. The plotline became much more interesting to me and also very engaging and so much easier for me to get into both the past and present. It opened a lot of windows on both of their lives. I loved that because now I feel like so much more is cleared up.

Of course the characters are probably my favorite part of this series. I love the flawed and twisted roles they all play. They are all so well developed and we can love them or hate them, and they are equally enjoyed. Everyone is imperfect, but perfect for the roles they play and I love that the most. I also love learning so much more about them in this book, especially Will. I look forward to more of these characters in this last book that is out.

I recommend this book/series to anyone who loves a great mystery, to those who love flawed, twisted characters, to those who love psychological elements in a mystery. This is definitely the book for all of those mentioned, written by a very gifted writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment