Thursday, October 8, 2015

The Silkworm - Robert Gailbraith - 3 stars

I decided to continue with this series also reading it as a buddy read. I had heard that so many people enjoyed this one more than it's predecessor, The Cuckoo's Calling. I actually did not find that this one was any better than the first.

In this installment, Strike and Robin are on another case when Strike gets asked by Leonora Quine, the wife of a missing author, Owen Quine, to find her missing husband and bring him home. Strike becomes aware that there may be more to this case than just a missing husband.

Ok so the plot of this story is really nothing special, there have been many mystery books that have had this same kind of plot, but I thought it worth reading because I love mystery. One of the problems I had with this one and the before it is the fact that it starts off super slow. I was on page 125 before it really took off, so that, again, was disappointing. Once it got going it did become more enjoyable and was pretty easy to follow. I also had another problem, and this was the fact that you never knew what was going on. Strike would delegate a job to someone, but it was never said what the job was and that was really pretty annoying. It made me feel like I was missing something. This happened several times in the book. I love a mysterious story but this was a bit ridiculous. Also I did not find the ending surprising at all when it comes to the bad guy. No WOW factor where that is concerned. I mean the villain could have been any one of characters. All of them could have been guilty as sin. So that was a bit disappointing as well. There were good parts to the story that were very enjoyable, I just think it lacked the overall excitement and surprise.

The main characters of the story I loved, Strike and Robin. I have to give it credit for that. I think they are well developed and easily likable and is really the reason this book got 3 stars instead of 1 or 2. I like how flawed Strike is, and even though he has a lot of issues, he does not give up on the task at hand. Robin is also very strong and does not put it up with a bunch of crap unless we are talking about Matthew. He is annoying and Robin practically bends over backward for him.

I am not sure who to recommend this book too because I think it would be a disappointment to a lot of mystery lovers like myself. I guess just go into it without huge expectations. Like I said it gets 3 stars, which is probably generous, because of the characters. Not quite sure if I would read the next book or not. I would like to see what happens with Strike and Robin, it is pretty obvious that they feel something for one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment