Monday, October 26, 2015

Hard Magic - Larry Correia - 3.5 stars

I was recommend this book by a friend, so I decided to try it out even though it is an adult fantasy and I rarely do well with this genre. I both listened to this book and read along with it which helped since I don't really like Audio all that much. The story did keep my interest, it just did not blow me away. I am glad I read it and I think there is enough here to the story for me to venture into the next one.

Synopsis
Jake Sullivan is a licensed Private Eye—with a seriously hardboiled attitude. He also possesses raw magical talent and the ability to make objects in his vicinity light as a feather or as heavy as depleted uranium, all with a magical thought. It's no wonder the G-men turn to Jake when they need someone to go after a suspected killer who's been knocking off banks in a magic-enhanced crime spree. Problems arise when Jake discovers the bad girl behind the robberies is an old friend, and he happens to know her magic is just as powerful as his, and the Feds have plunged Jake into a secret battle between powerful cartels of magic-users--a cartel whose ruthless leaders have decided that Jake is far too dangerous to live.

First off let me say that the world building was not the greatest, it was lacking a bit, which was probably the biggest problem I had with the story. I did like the plot of this story once I recognized what the plot actually was. There was a lot going on in the story and was not always easy to follow at the beginning, but it does come together. I liked the writing style of the author which helped a lot. There were also not so many characters that I got confused by who was who, as many fantasy books do and that made me happy. There was plenty of action and excitement to keep me very entertained and engaged. I have to say that this is not your normal run of the mill fantasy which is why I enjoyed it.

I found the characters to be my favorite part. This book is very character driven I think. I found them to be quite fun. They were well developed throughout the story and most were very likable as well. I really liked Jake Sullivan's character a lot. He was very flawed, gritty, and very strong willed. I also enjoyed Faye a lot as well. I was not too sure of her in the beginning but she really grew on me. There is a great cast of very unique characters in this story.

I recommend this book to anyone who likes a different kind of fantasy, because this is it. Even if you don't do well with fantasy I think you would enjoy this one. I look forward to the next book in this series, Spellbound. I am giving this book a 3.5 star rating.

No comments:

Post a Comment