Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Gerald's Game - Stephen King - 4 stars

I decided to read this book for the season and I had not read it yet so I thought it would be good book to read for spook season. I am glad that I finally got to this one though because finally I found a book that creeped me out sufficiently enough.

In this book we have Jessie and her husband who get away to their cabin in a pretty remote part of Maine for some kinky play time. Jessie finds herself handcuffed to the bed and before things take off in a way she is not comfortable her husband dies leaving her there in a very compromising situation. While thinking that is worse thing that could happen, Jessie soon discovers that it is not.

At first while reading this I did not understand all of these flashbacks in the book, and kinda threw me off because I did not see the importance of them, but it was made pretty clear to me that they are a very important part of the story. I also thought that our main character was not always very smart and I was made to realize a lot of the things she did or did not do was directly affected by the fact that she was handcuffed to the bed causing some restrictions that she would normally not have. Once I got head wrapped around the story it made for a pretty creepy read, and when I can find a story to creep me out I find that refreshing. I liked how King strings along the readers almost to the breaking point until finally there is some relief. I also did not expect the ending to this book. There may be some scenes in this book that people will not care for but I feel like they do well to define the person Jessie is in this story.

Now onto our character Jessie. I don't think she is a very smart person, again, her situation is a huge part of that, so I can be lenient on her in that aspect. I think she has pretty good development due to her flashbacks because it explains a lot about her and her personality and why she is the way she is. I liked her and I found that I could really feel the way she was feeling while reading this. The Apprehension, the fear, and the loneliness as well. I could only imagine being in her situation and how I would react to it. I loved her slow decent into the insanity of the situation.

I recommend this book to anyone who likes a good psychological thriller and for those who crave the creepiness and does not always get that in books. This one had that creep factor for me and I loved that, which is why it gets a 4 star rating.

No comments:

Post a Comment