Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Obsidian - Jennifer L. Aremntrout - 4 stars

This is a first time read for me with this Author. Obsidian is the first book in The Lux Series I had heard a lot about this book and finally decided to try it out. I gotta say I really enjoyed it. No it did not blow me away but it was very engaging. I also found this book to be very fluid and easy to follow. I really liked the writing style, I found it humourous, quirky, and very enjoyable. I look forward to the rest of the series.

This is the first story I have read about Aliens and I really enjoyed it. We have Katy as our main character who just recently moved with her mom to Vest Virginia and she has a lot to deal with including her new neighbors, Dee and her arrogant, self righteous brother named Daemon. Unexplainable things start to happen that put Katy on a mission to figure out what is going on.

The plot was great I think. I found it very entertaining and engaging. What a great premise for a story, especially if the reader is new to books about Aliens. I really like how the author wrote them and made them powerful but not hideous. It made me want to meet an alien. It made me really wonder about life on other planets. Do I believe there is? You betcha!

The characters were so well developed. There were multiple times where I wanted to reach into the book and slap Daemon! He is so rough around the edges and yet so wishy washy you would think he was a female. The on and again off again relationship he has with Katy could get a bit annoying for some I am sure, but it made the relationship so different and so much more believable. Usually most YA love interests fall instantly in love. Dee was probably my favorite character besides Katy. I liked how their friendship developed and Dee did not care what Daemon thought about Katy, she was going to be her friend regardless. I also like how Katy was not afraid to make sacrifices, she knew what family meant and how important it was.

I recommend this book for anyone, especially those who love a good alien story. I look forward to the rest of the series how these relationships progress and how our story continues to unfold.

No comments:

Post a Comment