Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Wool - Hugh Howey - 3 stars

 I read this one as a buddy read with others in my group. This was really a very short read. I found it very fluid and easy to follow. I also liked the build up to the conclusion to this first installment. It was kind of odd in a way as in I was not sure what to expect with it. I will probably continue with the rest of the books in this series because I feel I have no choice with the ending of this first one. It has piqued my interest a lot.

So we have a community of people who live in a silo because they have been told that the outside was desolate and barren and no one could survive outside of the walls of the silo. As a punishment for those that even whisper how they want out, they get tossed out wearing a suit that gives life support for a short time, long enough for them to clean the lens on the outside of the silo.

The characters in this book were not overly developed but I really liked Holston, who is our main character in this first installment. He is pretty driven to find out what was going on, or if he could actually find a life outside of the silo since his wife seemed to have instilled doubts in his head as to whether or not it was really barren and desolate outside of the silo.

I would have liked to see a bit more depth with both the plot and the characters. I also think the imagery could be just a bit better as well. But I do get hints that this overall story will grow well with each book, at least that is what I am hoping, because with the ending of this one it makes me eager to find out more.

No comments:

Post a Comment