Wednesday, July 23, 2014

The Light Between Oceans - M.L. Stedman - 3 stars

This is a first time read for me with this author. I had heard that this book was fantastic, and of course I try to stay away from reviews until I read a book. This book was pretty good, it just did not wow me. I found some portions of the book a little boring and drawn out. I did think the premise of the story was good and there were some very touching parts as well. It is pretty much a 'family love story'.

So we have Tom and Isabel, deeply in love, who are living on Janus Rock, and Tom is a light keeper. They have been through 3 miscarriages and they are both pretty much grieving over the losses. They pretty much conclude that they are just not meant to have children. That is until the boat with the dead guy and the baby shows up, Isabel convinces Tom to let her keep the baby. And then the story goes from there.

I really did not like Isabel at all. She really grated on my nerves. How could she not figure out that keeping this baby was wrong? And then every time Tom would reconsider the choices he made about keeping baby Lucy, it seemed like Isabel was always able to change his mind. Tom had a great weakness and at the mercy of his wife he never had a chance of convincing her what they were doing was wrong. So they both kind of rubbed me the wrong way, but I could tolerate Tom a bit more.

I loved the imagery that Stedman gives us mostly of Janus Rock, I could see myself there perfectly. I also really liked the ending of the book as well, it was pretty emotional to say the least. And I feel like it was very satisfying. I did find that this book was more plot driven than anything and the characters could have been a bit better. I do think Stedman is a great writer and I would definitely read more from this Author in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment