Thursday, August 14, 2014

The Iron King - Julie Kagawa - 4 stars

I decided to read this book for a read along with a friend. I had been contemplating reading it for quite some time. I am glad that I finally got around to reading it. I had hear a lot of mixed reviews on this book, but I am glad I decided for myself. It was such a quick. fluid read and was very engaging.

In this story we have Meghan who is a normal teenage girl struggling with issues such as home life, school, bullying and dealing with her missing father. She then discovers that she is the daughter of a Faery King in a mythical land and she is the middle of a war between two faery kingdoms.

I thought the imagery was pretty decent in this book, and I liked the worlds that readers get to be a part of. It was all good enough for me to be able to imagine myself there. It had an Alice in Wonderland feel to it. And it played out just like a fairy tale. This story had a lot to it, there was some creepiness, mystery, fantasy and to a point some science fiction as well. I did have a hard time trying to figure out if this was YA, Adult or middle grade. It seemed like it was all 3 sometimes.

I really liked the wide array of characters. I see that some readers say they did not like Meghan. In the beginning she was not completely likeable and was a little whiny, but overall I thought she was ok and she did grow throughout the story and I feel like she became stronger as the story went. I liked Robbie but I hated that they called him Puck instead, that was a bit off and annoying for me.

I do feel like this story was more plot driven than character driven. But the story did have a pretty good plot and it was definitely not anything like I thought it was going to be. I could not have guessed anything that happened in this story. I recommend this to anyone who likes fairy tales because it certainly is both a magical and fun read.

No comments:

Post a Comment