Saturday, August 2, 2014

Poisoned Waters - Ermisenda Alvarez - 3.5 stars

I received this in e-book form from the author in return for an honest review. I really enjoyed this book. I had recently come across someone comparing this to the voyage of the Titanic with elements of the game Clue. And it really is exactly like that. It has an old Agatha Christie feel to the story. However it is not your normal mystery at all, it is quite different, so that was somewhat refreshing. A couple things were a bit predictable but also there were some surprising elements as well.

I liked the writing style of this author and her ability to make me feel like I was there. She had the imagery down perfect for the setting of 1955 from the description of the clothing worn to the way the characters spoke. All very authentic and real. And to top things off, a big beautiful ship that housed criminals galore. A first there seemed to be a lot going on, so in the very beginning it got a little confusing trying to keep all the characters straight. Once they were all introduced it got much easier to follow.

There was a lot of mystery to this tale and I really liked that. I like to be able to sleuth myself and try to figure things out, and I feel like this book really offers that. We also meet some great characters with lots of flaws both antagonist and protagonists alike. I loved the little tidbits of backstory that went with each of the characters too. It allows the readers to become a little more familiar with the characters and understand why they were the way they were.

I would definitely read more from this Author and I look forward to that opportunity. I can recommend this book to anyone who likes mysteries with that old timey feel to it. I am giving this book a 3.5 rating.

No comments:

Post a Comment