Tuesday, April 7, 2015

The Fallen - Thomas E. Sniegoski - 4 stars

I did not know what to expect with this book. I love angel stories ever since reading Angelfall. So take that story and add some darker elements to it and you have The Fallen. It was pretty fast paced for the most part, but it was also pretty dark and violent as well.

In this book we have Aaron who has his 18th birthday and who also is hearing strange voices in his head. Fearing he is going crazy he is not able to confide in anyone, not even his foster parents of whom he lives with. He then meets Zeke, who seems to know everything about him him, but can he show Aaron the way?

I thought the world building in this book was good. I find books surrounding fallen angels, really intriguing, and what peoples takes are on this subject. I think the Author did well developing both our good and bad angels in this stories. One thing I notice though is that no one writes about the events that cause the angels to fall, the war that goes on causing all this turmoil in heaven. This story gets the closest to that and I really liked that part of it. I also like the darker elements to this story, the ruthlessness of the antagonist really adds to the tale.

So now for the characters, Aaron, he was a little annoying. I know the things he was told was a lot to take, but I think he needed to be a bit more accepting of things. I think because he was not so accepting it made him look ignorant and weak. He did get better the further the story goes, and I hope in book 2, he becomes even more aware of who he is and what he was meant to become. Verchiel was the perfect antagonist. He was evil, ruthless and sadistic. I really found myself feeling so much hatred and anger towards him. There are plenty of characters to both love and hate in this story.

I recommend this to anyone who loves angel stories if you like a more gritty, dark take on the subject. I am pretty sure this should be more adult than YA just based on the dark elements and the violence alone. I look forward to the rest of the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment