Monday, April 27, 2015

Wonderstruck - Brian Selznick - 4 stars

I actually just picked this book up a week ago and decided I wanted to see what it was all about. So I put down my current read for a couple of hours and read this one. It was such a sweet book and I like it's originality with telling two different stories at the same time that come together beautifully at the end. One story told with text and the other with pictures. It was a positive read with a great story to tell.

This story is about a boy name Ben who lost his mother to an accident. He does not feel at home living with his aunt and Uncle. He finds some clues to who is father is and he treks off to find him in New York City. The time is the 1970's. We also have the story of Rose, told in pictures. She too feels as though she is missing something in her life and at 12 years old goes off in search of a famous 'silent' Actress. Her story is set back in the 1920's.

The pencil sketches were really my favorite part of the book and they told the story of Rose very well. It was like I really was reading text instead of gazing at pictures. The art was just amazing I thought. Now that I read this one I will be sure to pick up Hugo Cabret the next time I see it at our local used book store.

No comments:

Post a Comment