Monday, September 21, 2015

A Monster Calls - Patrick Ness - 3 stars

This book was picked for me by my friend Shannon for our pick 5 Challenge. I had heard some really good things about, but was not sure when I would actually get to it. So this is a really good challenge to get these books read. I ended up not liking it as much as I thought would like it, so that was a little disappointing, but it was a decent read.

In this book you have Conor who has started having 'nightmares of a monster' that in a way helped him better deal with his Mother's illness. As he tried to figure out where this monster comes from he begins to see things in a very different light.

I thought the premise of this book was pretty good, I just expected something entirely different than what I got after reading the synopsis of the story, and I think this is what took away from the story for me. I did think the writing was beautiful and it gives a good look into dealing with illness, loss and how people deal with these things differently. I thought the illustrations in the books were amazing. I love that part of the story. Even though the book did not blow me away, I still found it to be engaging and easy to read. There were some pretty heart wrenching parts to this book.

I think Conor was developed very well and I really enjoyed his character a lot. I think his personality could be easily relatable for teen readers. I like how he used these nightmares to better deal with his mother's illness. I thought Grandma was a little rough around the edges and pretty hard on Conor as far as how she dealt with him when it came to his own dealing with situation at hand.

I think this book is very worthy of reading. So I recommend this to everyone. I do think it would have been helpful to have a better synopsis written. I think it is a little misleading and says more than what it really is about I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment