Friday, September 11, 2015

Between Shades of Gray - Ruta Sepetys - 4 stars

I read this book as a buddy read with a friend. This is also a first time read for me of this author. I was unsure about it since I do tend to struggle with historical. I do find this 1940's era interesting though so I decided to go ahead and read it. I am so glad that I did. I found this book and Lina's story very engaging.

This the story of Lina, a very gifted 15 year old girl and her family in the 1940's residing in Lithuania. In the middle of the night their home is invaded by the NKVD and Lina, Jonas, her brother, and Elena, her mother are forced to climb into the back of a truck. They are then deported to a farm and they work for mere bread rations. This is Lina's story of their journey to Siberia.

This is a very gripping story full of sadness and depression, but also love and courage. It was so engaging and I could barely put the book down. I could never imagine what these people had to endure at the hands of Stalin and his control. It certainly does make you wonder what a human life is worth. This story is told with honesty and feeling. I think the author did a beautiful job with getting this story told on a more personal level than history teachers can convey.

The characters were just amazing, and so well developed. It made them so believable. I loved them all. The author allows readers to experience and feel the pain that they felt everyday. I know I did. Readers are also witness not only to what really went on and how these people suffered, but also those small victories that they counted amongst themselves.

I recommend this book to everyone. It should be read and talked about. It is such an important part of history, and those of in America should be grateful that we did not have to endure this kind of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment